Secretary Agenda & Meeting Minutes, Nov. 2016 - Dec. 2017

 

OARS General Meeting Minutes, June 16, 2017 at Anacortes Public Library.

President Jack Darnton called the meeting to order at 7:30 a.m. Eleven members were present, including four officers (Jack Darnton, Cathy Schaeffer – Vice President, Robin Pestarino – Past President, and Simone Spiess – Secretary).

The minutes of June 2, 2017 were read and approved. The corrected minutes of May 19, 2017 were also approved.

Finance: Jack Darnton mentioned the deficit in the budget and plans by Bill Epler to discuss this at the upcoming Board of Directors meeting on Tuesday, June 27.

Ship 4081 / Youth Outreach: Cathy Schaeffer attended the graduation. Certificates were given to the students. The program will start back up in the Fall. A long article with great stories and photos was published in the Anacortes American Newspaper as well as on the GoAncortes website.

Scheduling: Cathy Schaeffer will be in charge of the 4th of July Parade participation which will be similar to last year. We will tow the Glide (with grandchildren) since it is already out of the water. The banner encouraging to ‘Wear your Life Jacket’ will be used again.

Maintenance: Bosun Charley Drake will purchase a stiff brush and encourage crews to clean their shoes so that we avoid mud and pebbles in the boats, which was evident when we had the The Island Star out for the Waterfront Festival. A lot of gunk had to be cleaned out.

The trailer for the Island Star requires modifications to accommodate the length of the boat. Charley and Skip have made several attempts but do not have a solution at this time. Since Port Townsend plans to have a crew to race against the Island Star on September 8, a solution will be needed soon. 

Safety: Skip Dassler has updated the rowing schedule and Bill Testerman will update the website soon.

Communications: Jack Darnton has been in communication with Tristan and expects to have the Video before Tristan graduates next week.

New Business:

Community Rows will start July 21 and run four Fridays at 8:30 a.m. Christine Mathes will be in charge of the program. Christine also asked for volunteers to mentor new rowers.

Robin Pestarino stated that the Lady Oars Racing team is committed to race the Port Townsend crew of the Salish Star on September 8.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 a.m.

The next Board of Directors meeting is on June 27 at 10:30 a.m. in the Chamber of Commerce Board Room.

..........................................................................................................................

OARS Master Meeting Minutes, June 2, 2017 at the Anacortes Public Library

President Jack Darnton called the meeting to order at 7:30 A.M. There were 11 members present  including one officer (Jack Darnton, President). As there was not a quorum no official actions could be  taken at the meeting.

The minutes of the May 19, 2017 General Meeting were read and the following corrections were  suggested. In the report of the sale of the Newport 30 it should read “David Jackson came in early to report to Jack that the donated Newport 30 has been tentatively sold. The pending sale for $4,000 is  being held with a $100 deposit.” In the Sister Cities event “Saddleback” should be corrected to  “Saddlebag”. Under Communications Cathy Schaeffer not Jack Darnton posted the sign at the Bowling Alley. Approval of the minutes will be requested at the June 16, 2017 meeting.

Treasurer’s Report – Jack Darnton provided the report as submitted by Treasurer Bill Epler. The funds  from Crew 4081 and expenditures for the Youth Outreach program have been separated into a separate  fund titled OARS Outreach. As of May 31, 2017 the balance for the Operating Fund is $6,452.32, the  OARS Outreach balance is $3, 451.42, the Capital Fund Balance is $20,414.26.Jack reported that the Board will be discussing the declining balance in the Operating Fund and possibly looking into collecting dues in January instead of December so that dues revenue will be reported in the year that they are intended to cover the expenses. Jackie Boss suggested that this may delay collection from snow birds. It was also suggested that this year is an anomaly as the winter weather prevented many of the rows which resulted in reduced row card sales, a major revenue in the budget.

Reports and Updates

Waterfront Festival – Charley Drake reported that the Island Star will be pulled today and the new trailer fitted to the boat and then the boat will be washed (probably at the car wash). Cathy Schaeffer is in charge of scheduling and setup for the booth. Mindy Sorenson said that she understood that there are sufficient volunteers to cover the event.

Messabout – Jack reported that there were about 20 volunteers that assisted with the event. Beth Bell, Andy Stewart and Cathy Schaeffer did a lot of the work and are to be commended for how well OARS was represented.

4th of July Parade – Jack reported that we will discuss our participation in the event at the next meeting.

Maintenance – Jack reported that there have been 45 responses to the survey. The Glide will be worked on this summer.

Safety – Skip Dassler reported that he is working on the row schedule. Several of the masters have given him updated information and he will be contacting the rest of the masters. It was suggested that the Elizabeth Bonaventure also be added to the schedule.

Communications – Jack Darnton reported that he has worked with Tristin Munich, the videographer at Anacortes High School, and the video is about ready to be posted to You-tube. Permission has been received to add some of the drone video of the Lady OARS practice row. Jack passed around a card to thank Tristin for the work he has done and will add a gift card (not from OARS funds) as Tristin will not receive any of the funds being paid to the school for the video.

There was no update on the possible donation of an open water shell to the club. Jack is concerned that the shell will not meet club’s needs and may not happen.

New business – Jackie Boss reported that some of the crews have enjoyed watching seals play with the oars on some rows. Masters were reminded that seals can and have done damage to the oars so please do not allow or encourage seals to approach the boats.

Jackie also reported that the Romanian dancers, who have a long friendship with the Anacortes Sister Cities Association, are coming in August. A fundraiser dinner for the troupe will be held on August 2. A handout was available for those interested.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:55 AM.

All hands quickly took care of the tables and chairs.

Prepared by Marilyn Sollers, Substitute secretary. June 2, 2017

........................................................................................................

OARS General Meeting Minutes, May 19, 2017 at the Anacortes Public Library.

Corrections as noted in the June 2, 2017 minutes.

President Jack Darnton opened the first meeting at the Anacortes Public Library at 7:30 a.m. There were 17 members present, including four officers (Jack Darnton, Cathy Schaeffer – VP, Bill Epler – Treasurer, and Simone Spiess – Secretary).

The minutes of the May 5, 2017 Masters’ Meeting were read and approved.

Open Water Rowing Shell donation: Jack Darnton reported that this shell has been offered to OARS as a donation. For the moment, the owners have decided that they want to try to sell the shell. There is a disinterested partner involved in the ownership. Bill Testerman will take a look at the shell on his next visit to Guemes.

Unscheduled Rows: Skip Dassler volunteered to be the Scheduler. He will contact Jim Laurel for the format of the forms that have to be completed. The Log Book in the shelter has to also be completed.

Treasurer Bill Epler reported that more rowing cards are being sold.

Ship 4081:

Cathy Schaeffer reported that Joan Pringle of the Anacortes American will come to the next row to take pictures. There are two more rows scheduled before summer vacation. Graduation is June 9 and Cathy has prepared certificates of ‘Able Bodied Seamen – Rower’ for each.

David Jackson came in early to report to Jack that the donated Newport 30  has been tentatively sold. The pending sale for $4,000.- is being held with a $100 deposit.  A discussion and motion followed about the need to keep these Crew 4081 / Youth Program funds identified separately. Jack Darnton proposed that this could be part of the mid-year review by the Treasurer. A motion was carried unanimously to table the discussion and motion until June.

Scheduling:

Messabout: Cathy Schaeffer has rosters for Messabout and the Waterfront Festival. Messabout on Saturday, May 20, will have two boats for community rows with three crew and a master in each boat. Jack Darnton will be on the dock to assist with docking. Skip Dassler has a roster for Lift Operations instruction on Friday, May 19 at 5 pm and for Saturday, May 20 Lift Operations. Beth Bell reminded all of the Potluck at 12:30 p.m.

Waterfront Festival: The Island Star will be pulled on Friday, June 2 for Waterfront Festival. Bosun, Charley Drake plans to fit the trailer at that time. The organizers would like to have more old boats in the Festival if we know of any. Robin reported that the Festival will not have dock space for the Elizabeth Bonaventure near the Port Office. The Seafarers Park Docks will not be used by the Festival. Beth Bell suggested that the docking space for the Quick and Dirty Boat building can be used until 3:30 p.m.

Sister Cities Cities event – August: David Jackson been approached to provide rides in the Elizabeth Bonaventure and gigs to Saddlebag Island for a picnic for Romanian guests from Sister Cities on August 9. A motion was unanimously approved to proceed.

Maintenance:

Beth Bell reported that the Anacortes Yacht Club facility is ten feet high and would not allow the oars to be varnished in a vertical position. The Yacht Club could make the space available for up to two weeks.  

Jack Darnton reported that so far he has received a dozen responses to his July maintenance project survey. Jack expects to be able to form maintenance teams based on the feedback.   

Communications:

Jack Darnton has seen the first edit of the Rowing Video. It is quite good and lasts six and a half minutes. Jack will look into further editing. The video would reside on YouTube and we could have a link from the OARS website.

Bill Testerman has updated the calendar on the website to show the new meeting location at the Anacortes Public Library.

Cathy Schaeffer posted a sign at the Bowling Alley about the change to the Anacortes Public Library. Jack Darnton gave our waitress, Kim, a card to thank her for her good service with a fifty dollar tip. Kim was disappointed that we have moved. Jack made three attempts to reach the owners of the Bowling Alley without success. He left a letter with a check for our meeting fee of $25 for May.

New  Business:

Rudi Gahler inquired about plans for a workspace as part of the Anacortes Small Boat Center. Robin explained that these have been put on hold.

Walt Guterbock reported that the Port Director, Dan Worra, told him that there were no plans to move the shelter from its current location.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 a.m. Everyone put away the chairs and tables in five minutes!

The next Board meeting is Tuesday, May 23, at 10:30 a.m. in the Chamber of Commerce Board Room.

Prepared by Simone Spiess, secretary, May 20, 2017, and corrected June 15, 2017.

 .......................................................................................................

AGENDA     OARS General Meeting          May 19, 2017                           

                                            

Welcome and introductions 

Minutes – May 5, 2017

 Open Water Rowing Shell donation

 Unscheduled Rows

 Treasurer’s Report/Finance

 Reports and Updates

 • Ship 4081

 • Scheduling

Messabout May 20 

Waterfront June 3-4

4th of July Parade

Sister Cities event - August

• Maintenance

Glide and Island Star

Shelter

Bosun

Safety

• Communications

Rowing Video

New Business.

..........................................................................................

OARS Masters’ Meeting Minutes, May 5, 2017.

President Jack Darnton opened the meeting at 7:30 a.m. There were 19 members present, including four officers (Jack Darnton, Cathy Schaeffer – VP, Bill Epler – Treasurer, and Simone Spiess – Secretary).

The minutes of the April 21, 2017 General Meeting were read and approved.

Treasurer Bill Epler reported normal expenses in the month of April and fewer Rowing Card Sales due to poor weather conditions. The balance in the Operating Fund is $9,862.26 and the Capital Fund has a balance of $22,140.32. Bill plans to prepare a mid-year checkpoint of the club finances.

Change in meeting locale to Anacortes Public  Library: Changing the two monthly meetings from the Bowling Alley to the Anacortes Public Library would have the advantage of saving the $600 meeting fee. It would also mean that there would be no coffee or food service and that we would be responsible for setting up the meeting room and returning the room to its original status. Cathy Schaeffer as VP offered to take on responsibility for collecting the key on Thursdays. The library meeting room is available for the next twelve months. Several members expressed their fondness of the Bowling Alley, the long tradition of meeting there, and the friendly staff with the convenience of breakfast service.

A motion to change to the Anacortes Public Library meeting room starting May 19, 2017 was carried unanimously.

A notice of the change will be sent to members by email. Stickers will be needed for our brochures to show the new meeting location. A sign will be posted at the Bowling Alley on May 19 to show the new meeting location. It was agreed that members will bring their own coffee. Jack circulated a card for our server, Kim, which all signed and contributed to a mid-year tip for her service.

Ship 4081: A motion was carried unanimously to spend $145 on two new life jackets and $100 on a distress light and flag for the Elizabeth Bonaventure.

Scheduling: Cathy circulated sign-up rosters for Messabout and the Waterfront Festival. Messabout on Saturday, May 20, will have two boats for community rows with three crew and a master in each boat. Skip Dassler has a roster for Lift Operations instruction on Friday, May 19 at 5 pm and for Saturday, May 20 Lift Operations. The Island Star will be pulled on Friday, June 2 for Waterfront Festival. Bosun, Charley Drake plans to fit the trailer at that time.

Maintenance: Torgy mentioned the four oars that have been prepared for varnishing by Jack Middleton. Beth Bell will check whether the Anacortes Yacht Club may have space that can be used for a short period of time to complete the varnishing of the oars. Ideally the oars would be vertical and it would take five to seven coats of varnish. Bill Epler mentioned that Jack may be able to accommodate the oars for the varnishing project.

Safety: The Elizabeth Bonaventure incurred a small ding while docking the Annie C. as reported by Betty Kuhn. Cathy will apply undercoating to repair the damage.

Skip will start following up on the two year safety checks and the review of the procedures manual by the Masters.

Communications: Bill Testerman complimented Vicki O’Brien on the May issue of the Tholepin.

New  Business: Beth Bell reported that the contract for the position of Sailing Director is being reviewed by legal council for the City of Anacortes. Beth expects that the City of Anacortes will have the sailing program through the Parks and Recreation Department this year and that the new Director function will be implemented next year.

Beth asked for volunteers to distribute posters for Messabout and for assistance on June 3 from 9-9:30 with the setup of the tents for the Quick and Dirty Boat Builders. Several members signed up.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 a.m.

Prepared by Simone Spiess, secretary, May 5, 2017.

 .............................................................................................

AGENDA     OARS Masters’ Meeting      May 5, 2017                               

                                            

Welcome and introductions

Minutes – April 21, 2017

Change in meeting locale to Anacortes Public Library

Treasurer’s Report/Finance

Reports and Updates

• Ship 4081

• Scheduling

Messabout May 20 

Waterfront June 3-4

4th of July Parade

• Maintenance

Glide and Island Star

Shelter

Bosun

• Safety

• Communications

Rowing Video

New Business

...............................................................................................................

OARS General Meeting Minutes, April 21, 2017

Jack Darnton, President opened the meeting at 7:30 a.m. There were 12 members present, including three officers (Jack Darnton, Cathy Schaeffer – VP and Simone Spiess - Secretary). Members introduced themselves. There were no guests.

The minutes of the April 7, 2017 meeting were read and approved.

Reports and Updates

Ship 4081:

Cathy could use more volunteers for the Monday morning 10-12 row. Another Master would  be helpful.  David Jackson reminded all that he plans to take the Elizabeth Bonaventure out for a sail on Sunday, April 23 at 2 pm. Cathy has invited the Salish Sea Deaf School students.

Scheduling:

Messabout – Skip Dassler and Cathy have their plans in place.

Waterfront Festival June 3&4 – The Island Star will be pull on Friday, May 2. Torgy Torgersen  suggested cleaning the boat with a pressure washer and brushes. The dolly will be used to walk with the boat from the lift to the festival booth.

Maintenance:

Torgy reported that Jack Middleton has prepared the four oars for the Glide for varnishing. Cathy could make space in her garage. Boshie Morris will talk to Don Rohlfing about the project.

Boshie has repaired the zipper in the south-east door. This corner has worn out fabric and Boshie will look into applying an adhesive Dacron patch to that area. Boshie also suggests that a dowel to connect the center of the two PVC pieces in the west curtain would be better than the current rope. Jack will mention this suggestion to the Guterbock team.

Bosun – Charley Drake mentioned that the Island Star still needs to be fitted to the new trailer.

Safety:

Skip has this covered. Cathy will inquire about the Salish Deaf School’s liability policy.

 

 

Communications:

Jack reported that the Rowing Video Project is proceeding. David Pratt’s original script is being used as the basis for the video.

Bill Testerman inquired about releasing the video on ‘YouTube’.  Jack believes that this will be possible.

New Business

John Guinn reported that the Port Advisory Committee is focused on matters which do not affect OARS at this point.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 a.m.

 

Prepared by Simone Spiess, April 23, 2017.

.........................................................................................

AGENDA     OARS General Meeting        April 21, 2017                        

                     

Welcome and introductions

Minutes – April 7, 2017

Treasurer’s Report/Finance

Reports and Updates

• Ship 4081

• Scheduling

Messabout May 20 

Waterfront June 3-4

• Maintenance

Glide and Island Star

Shelter

Bosun

• Safety

• Communications

Rowing Video

New Business

.........................................................................................................

OARS Masters Meeting Minutes, April 7, 2017

Cathy Schaeffer, Vice President opened the meeting at 7:30 a.m. There were 14 members present, including three officers (Cathy Schaeffer – VP, Bill Epler – Treasurer, and Simone Spiess  - Secretary). Members introduced themselves. There were no guests.

The minutes of the March 17, 2017 meeting were read and approved.

Treasurer Bill Epler reported little rowing activity in March. The March 31, 2017, balance in the Operating Fund was $10,188.58 and in the Capital Fund $22,060.32. A check for $100.- was given to Beth Bell for the Anacortes Small Boat Center’s Messabout.

Reports and Updates

Ship 4081:

 David Jackson has sent a letter to the Coast Guard to report that OARS will give up the School Ship Status of the Elizabeth Bonaventure. Beth Bell mentioned that Kevin Pratt from Youth Dynamics is interested in a School Ship for an Outward Bound type program in the future.

David reported that the Capsize Drill is scheduled for May 15. David also mentioned that there are a number of Long Boats like the Elizabeth Bonaventure in the Puget Sound area.

Cathy reported that the students from the Salish Deaf School will use the gigs and wherries in the coming weeks. The coming Monday, Frank Orr will familiarize the students with the boats while along side. Cathy is looking for a volunteer to teach Navigation.

Scheduling:

Messabout – Skip Dassler and Andy Stewart will have a training session on Lift Operation on Friday, May 19, from 5 – 5:30 p.m. Volunteers on Saturday, May 20, will be scheduled over five periods of two-hours each. Cathy Schaeffer will have a sign-up sheet for volunteers for the Community Row. David Jackson will have a sign-up sheet for the Elizabeth Bonaventure volunteers.

Waterfront Festival June 3&4 – a sign-up sheet for volunteers to work in the booth will be circulated. The Glide will not be used due to maintenance schedule changes. The Island Star will be pulled out of the water and cleaned prior to the festival.

Maintenance:

The Glide is now scheduled for maintenance in July.

The shelter needs a repair of the zipper in the southeast corner door.

Bosun – Marty Foot reported for Charley Drake that the aluminum trailer was fitted for the Annie C. on Friday, March 31.

Safety:

Liability Insurance – Bill Epler inquired about our liability insurance coverage with our Scott Richards Insurance agent. OARS members are covered for liability if sued by someone other than an OARS member. OARS members sign a ‘Hold Harmless Waiver’ which addresses liability among OARS member. The Salish Deaf School students and their parents have signed this waiver. The agent will look into obtaining more comprehensive accident insurance but expects such a Sports Policy to carry a premium in the range of $1000 to $1500.  

Cathy will inquire about the Salish Deaf School’s liability policy.

Communications:

Vicki O’Brien brought copies of the April issue of the Tholepin, featuring Skip Dassler,  to the meeting.

Rowing Video – no news.

New Business

Beth Bell reported that the Messabout is making good progress including recruiting more sponsors.

Beth also mentioned that the City of Anacortes has posted the position of Sailing Director. Fund raising and pledges for the Sailing Director position are in excess of $27,000. A Letter of Intent with the City of Anacortes is being prepared.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 a.m.

Prepared by Simone Spiess, April 17, 2017. 

............................................................................................................

AGENDA     

OARS Masters’ Meeting                              April 7, 2017

Welcome and introductions – Cathy Schaeffer, VP

Minutes – March 17, 2017

Treasurer’s Report/Finance - Bill Epler, treasurer

Reports and Updates

• Ship 4081

• Scheduling

Messabout May 20 

Waterfront June 3-4

• Maintenance

Glide and Island Star

Shelter

Bosun

• Safety

Liability Insurance

Communications

Rowing Video

New Business

................................................................................................................................

OARS Meeting Minutes, March 17, 2017

President Jack Darnton opened the meeting at 7:30 a.m. There were 13 members present, including five officers (Jack Darnton, Cathy Schaeffer – VP, Bill Epler – Treasurer, Simone Spiess  - Secretary, and Robin Pestarino – Past President). Members introduced themselves. There were no guests.

The minutes of the March 3, 2017 meeting were read and approved.

Treasurer Bill Epler expressed concern that the cost of color copies of the Tholepin is running about $90 a month compared to our budget of $30. Extra color copies of the Tholepin had been printed for the meeting with the Board of the Salish Sea Deaf School. Jack Darnton will discuss the choices of the printing in color vs black and white vs reading the Tholepin on-line with Vicki O’Brien, the editor.

Unfinished Business

The vote on the Budget Adjustments for Crew 4081/Salish Sea Deaf School was delayed until after the end of April Board meeting with Chris Anderson from the Boy Scouts of America regarding his ideas for Crew 4081 and the School Ship Status of the Elizabeth Bonaventure. 

Reports and Updates

Ship 4081: Bill Epler wil check with our insurance agent regarding the coverage of our liability insurance.

Scheduling:

Messabout May 20: Walter Guterbock offered to assist Skip Dassler with the operation of the Lift. Walter stated that it should be the responsibility of the owners of the boats to put the lift lines on their boats.

Waterfront June 3-4: Jack reported that Torgy Torgerson will not be available to arrange for OARS to participate in the Quick and Dirty Boat Building contest.

Maintenance:

Annie C. needs to be fitted to the new trailer in time for the April 1 race at Jetty Island. Bosun Charley Drake has tentatively scheduled this for Tuesday, March 21, after the 9:00 am row.

Communications:

On Wednesday, March 14, Robin Pestarino, Cathy Schaeffer, Frank Orr, John Guinn, Bill Epler, David Jackson, and Jack Darnton started the filming with the Anacortes High School Video project. The $500.00 in the budget for this project was unanimously approved.

The voice-over part of the project will be the next step. Jack will make sure that OARS has the final product before the school year is over. Jack will check with Tristin Munich, our AHS Broadcast Club student, to ensure that we receive the video in a format that we can use on the OARS website.

New Business

Walter Guterbock mentioned that the zipper in the southeast corner of the shelter needs to be stitched. Walter will check with Boshie regarding this repair.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 a.m.

The March Board meeting will be Tuesday, March 28 at 10:00 in the Board Room of the Chamber of Commerce. Jack Darnton will be out of town for this meeting.

Prepared by Simone Spiess, March 20, 2017.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

AGENDA      OARSS General Meeting         March 17, 2017

Welcome and introductions - Jack Darnton, president

Minutes – March 3, 2017

Treasurer’s Report/Finance - Bill Epler, treasurer

Unfinished business

• Vote on Budget adjustments of $450 for Crew 4081/

   Salish Sea Deaf School

Reports and Updates

• Ship 4081

• Scheduling

Messabout May 20 - Skip and Cathy

Waterfront June 3-4

• Maintenance

Glide and Island Star

Shelter

Bosun - Charley Drake

• Safety

• Communications

Rowing Video

New Business

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OARS Meeting Minutes, March 3, 2017.

The meeting was called to order by Jack Darnton, President, at 0730. There were 17 members present, including  a quorum of four officers (Jack Darnton, Cathy Schaeffer - Vice President, Simone Spiess – Secretary, and Robin Pestarino – Past President). Members introduced themselves and there were no guests.

The minutes of the February 17, 2017 meeting were read and approved.

In the absence of Bill Epler, Treasurer, the Treasurer’s Report was presented by Jack Darnton. There was routine activity in both accounts. The February 28 balance of the Operating Fund is $11,003.05, and the balance of the Capital Fund is $22,060.32.

Unfinished Business

Budget Adjustments for Crew 4081/Salish Sea Deaf School

Jack Darnton discussed  the adjustments to the budget in the areas of Boat Maintenance (increase $150 for a flare), Equipment (increase $200 for life jackets), and School for the Deaf Rowing Program (increase $450 for drug testing).

A discussion of drug testing as implemented by different groups followed. Cathy Schaeffer will get details regarding Boy Scout of America procedures for drug testing.  Skip Dassler will look for details on drug testing requirements in the Coast Guard School Ship regulations.

The OARS Board views the decision about the School Ship status of the Elizabeth Bonaventure of such major significance that it should be a decision for the entire membership

Reports and Updates

1.       Ship 4081

Robin Pestarino and Cathy Schaeffer gave updates of the Salish Sea Deaf School program. Robin attended their Board of Directors meeting where great interest in the rowing program was expressed.  Cathy has facilitated direct communication between the Salish Sea Deaf School and the Pt. Port Townsend High School Maritime program. The students have enjoyed their rowing experience tremendously, though there remain challenges using hand signing and using unaccustomed muscles. There will be no summer school program this year since the students and their parents face difficulties with transportation arrangements and we cannot commit to OARS member volunteers throughout the summer.

Jack thanked Cathy and Robin and all volunteers that work with the Salish Sea Deaf School for their hard work to get the program established. Jack also mentioned that he has contacted the director of the Boys & Girls Club, Taylor Banister. Taylor is interested in the program and Jack proposed an introductory row with one of the crews.

2.       Scheduling

Messabout is May 20. OARS will have a booth with pamphlets and information as well as one of the boats. Skip Dassler will coordinate OARS’ help with lift efforts and lift training, working with Andy Stewart. A call will go out for volunteers. Beth Bell thanked OARS for the donation of $100 to the Anacortes Small Boat Center for Messabout support.

Waterfront Festival is June 3 and 4. Beth challenged the membership to organize a crew for the Quick and Dirty Boat Building contest.  Beth sees it as great exposure for OARS and great benefit to the Waterfront Festival. A sign-up list was circulated.

3.       Maintenance

Marty Foot has described the recent history of the maintenance of our boats and outlined a five year plan in the Tholepin.  This plan will level out the workload and establishes a plan for each boat.

Bosun Charley Drake requested that he be made aware of grommets that need replacement. Robin mentioned that the lines on the oarlocks of the Annie C. need replacement. Torgy will give Charley the needed type of line.

4.       Safety

The 2017 Masters Log book is in the box in the shed. A call about training to manage the Lift will go out soon so that we can be ready for the Messabout.

5.       Communications

Cathy Schaeffer has volunteered to be our representative to the Anacortes Small Boat Center.

Beth Bell reported good results of the efforts of the ASBC to staff the Youth Sailing Program and that donations from clubs and industry are approaching twenty-three to twenty-five thousand dollars now. The next meeting of the ASBC is Tuesday, March 7, at 6:30 pm at the Anacortes Yacht Club.

New Business

1.       Frank Orr brought up the following items:

a.       Don Wilson has a broken pelvis and will not be able to row for some time. Boshie circulated a copy of the Tholepin to relate Get-Well-Wishes and will make sure Don gets it.

b.      Recent retrieval of flotsam by Robin’s crew serves as a reminder to be alert of the damage to our boats, and especially the rudder, that floating debris can cause.

c.       The Antique Machinery Organization has spare storage under the Preston. If OARS can use more storage then we should look into this opportunity.

 

2.       Robin Pestarino reported that Rudi Gahler has fallen in Washington Park and was taken home by a kind lady . Boshie Morris will send Rudi a copy of today’s Agenda with best wishes from those present.

3.       Boshie Morris pointed out that the budget item for the life vests on the Elizabeth Bonaventure should be further scrutinized. Boshie pointed that two vests are so faded from the sun that they cannot be used. The other vests can be filled with better closed-cell foam and some are actually in very good condition. Jack encouraged Boshie, Cathy and Robin to keep working to understand the requirement for life vests and their types as part of our very worthwhile outreach program with the Salish Sea School for the Deaf.

Jack thanked all present for attending and adjourned the meeting at 0815.

Prepared by Simone Spiess, Secretary, Friday, March 3, 2017. 

........................................................................................................................

Agenda 3/3/17

Welcome and introductions - Jack Darnton, president
Minutes - Feb.17, 2017
Treasurer’s Report/Finance - Bill Epler, treasurer

Unfinished business
• Budget adjustments for Crew 4081/Salish Sea Deaf School


Reports and Updates

• Ship 4081

• Scheduling
Messabout May 20 - Skip and Cathy
Waterfront June 3-4

• Maintenance
Glide
Shelter
Bosun - Charley Drake

• Safety

• Communications
ASBC representative
ASBC financial request

New Business
...............................................................................................................................

OARS Meeting Minutes, February 17, 2017

1. The meeting was called to order by Jack Darnton, President, at 0730.  There were 10 members present including 4 officers (Jack, Cathy Schaeffer, VP, Robin Pestarino, Past President, and Bill Epler, Treasurer) which constituted a quorum.  Members introduced themselves and there were no guests.

2. The minutes from the February 3, 2017 meeting were read.  The minutes were approved as read with minor typos to be corrected.

Unfinished Business

3. Finance report from Bill Epler - there were no updates needing action.

4. Crew 4081 Budget adjustment - as expenses for the Elizabeth Bonaventure program with the Salish Sea Deaf School were not included in the original budget, proper notification was given to the membership to increase the budget by $500.  Discussion ensued that indicated that the proposed $500 is not adequate, if we intend to keep the Coast Guard School Ship status for the Elizabeth Bonaventure and if there is any maintenance needed for the boat.  There was consensus that the designation was valuable and that if we allowed the certification to lapse it would be difficult to get it reinstated.  Currently there is no projected needed funds for maintenance on the EB this year.  They do need an electronic flare. Vote on the budget increase was not taken.  The Board of Directors will determine the amount of additional funds needed to support the Coast Guard School Ship status and per bylaws the membership will be advised of the proposed budget increase before a vote is taken.  There are funds from the prior Elizabeth Bonaventure account that will cover the increase in expenditures.

Communications

5. Andy Stewart reported that the Pull and Be Damned Messabout will be Saturday, May 20.  With the assistance of OARS members that have lift certification, Andy would like to arrange training for several additional OARS members on the use of the lift during the Messabout.  It was confirmed that $100 for the Messabout was approved in the OARS budget.

6. Robin Pestarino reported that the Lady OARS racing team was not able to participate in the LaConner race due to bad weather.  The next race will be the Jetty Island Race, on April 1, with Cathy Schaeffer as Master.  The trailer still needs to be fitted to the Annie C.

7. The meeting was adjourned at 0808.

Submitted by Marilyn Sollers, substituting for Simone Spiess, Secretary

 

OARS Meeting Minutes, February 3, 2017

The meeting was called to order by President Jack Darnton, at 0730.  Welcome and introductions were given.

Officers Present: Cathy Schaeffer, VP, Bill Epler, Treasurer, Robin Pestarino, Past President.

There were 21 members present.

Minutes:  The January 20, 2017 minutes were read by Cathy Schaeffer.  They were apprpoved as read.

Treasurer's Report - Bill Epler: Operating Fund balance is $11,562.24, after income additions and subtraction of expenses.  Capital Fund balance is $21,945.32, after a $100.00 donation and $90.00 in rowing card sales.  There were no expenses.

Unfinished Business:

1. Anacortes Small Boat Center - Beth Bell

a. The letter requesting donations for the Higih School and Summer Sailing Program Director has gone out.

New Business:

1. Row Card Policy - Jack Darnton

a. The new Row Card Policy can be seen on line.

b. A general description of the new policy is that when members are serving club needs they do not need to punch their Row Cards.  Examples of "no punch" situations would be:

i. Races and Veterans Day participation

ii: Providing Waterfront Festival rides.

iii: Guest/VIP situations.

c. Practicing for races requires Row Card punches.

d. The new Row Card policy was approved.

2. Safety Committee Appointment - Jack Darnton

a. Skip Dassler has accepted the appointment as Safety Committee Chair.

3. 2017 Boat Maintenance Schedule - Jack Darnton

a. It is advisable to have a consistent, structured work schedule for maintaining the boats.

i. To establish a time, such as 2 weeks before the Waterfront Festival, pull the boat out.  On display at the Festival the boat will be clean, thugh not sanded or repainted, which doesn't seem to distract to the public.

4. Waterfront Festival Participation - Jack Darnton

a. The 2017 Waterfront Festival is scheduled for June 3rd & 4th.

b. The OARS by-laws include OARS participation in the Waterfront Festival.

Committee Reports:

1. Communications

a. The Tholepin - Vicki O'Brien

i. Vicki is always looking for new Tholepin article topics.

ii. Vicki needs another member to be interviewed for an interesting biography.

iii. Historical photos should have persons and stories identified for inclusion in the Tholepin.

iv. The Tholepin should be entered for a newsletter award.  Jack will look into this.

b. The Website - Bill Testerman

i. The old By-laws should be removed from the website.  They will be archived.

2. Crew 4081 - Cathy Schaeffer

a. Two successful rows have been completed.

b. Frank Orr has been a great skipper.  He is developing signals, along with the interpreter, to use in communicating with the deaf crew, some of whom are only 13 years old and have never participated in a team sport.

c. Kristi Kefgen, Sea Scout adult participant, secretary, treasurer and historian, has turned over the Crew 4081 account to Bill Epler.  She also presented a beautiful photographic record of Crew 4081 that dates back to 1999.  Many current OARS members' children participated in the program, for many years, including children of Kristi, David Jackson, Skipper, Michelle Pope and others.  There were similar programs in many surrounding maritime communities.  Each summer a Pacific Challenge was held in a different community.  Events included rowing, sailing, knot tying, navigation and the mail bag toss (the historical way mail and packages were transferred from the ship to the gig and vice versa.)  This wonderful program has fallen by the wayside due to lack of participation and interest in middle and high school students.  There are photos on the webpage under "Pacific Challenge."

Our program has changed, but we are still giving young people a chance to be on the water and to learn about teamwork and maritime traditions, in a wooden boat.

3. Maintenance - Charley Drake

a. The trailer for the Annie C is to be worked on Friday morning after the OARS meeting, but will the weather interfere?

b. The boat will be pulled on the ""P" dock.  Charley will be checked off on the Lift Master requirements by Marty Foot.

c. The Lady Oars Racing Team has volunteered to work on the Island Star.

d. Torgy Torgersen showed a plastic protector for boat corners

Tags: minutes agenda 2017
Post
comments:
(There are no comments yet.)
add a comment: