OARS Masters' Meeting, Dec. 2, 2016

OARS Meeting Minutes, December 2, 2016, at San Juan Lanes, Anacortes

President Robin Pestarino called the meeting to order at 0730. Introductions were made by 21 members and one guest: Chuck Tidrington. Chuck is joining OARS and will be involved with the Sea Scout program and the Elizabeth Bonaventure. 

Officers present: Torgy Torgersen - Vice President, Cathy Schaeffer – Secretary, Bill Epler – Treasurer.

Minutes of the November 18, 2016 Meeting were read and approved without changes in a motion by Mindy Sorensen, seconded by Beth Bell, and carried unanimously. 

Treasurer’s Report: Bill Epler reported the activity for the last 30 days. The Operating Fund has a balance of $5,460.-, Capital Fund balance $ 21,525.-, and Crew 4081 had no activity and a balance of $3,737.-. 

Unfinished Business:

Ship 4081: Cathy Schaeffer. All applications are at the Salish Sea Deaf School and expected back on December 16. An Administrative Committee will be set up of trained Boy Scout members. Boy Scout membership will cost $24.-/year. The students are expected to wear a uniform which will be decided by the Administrative Committee and may consist of T-shirts. Practice with the Elizabeth Bonaventure will start on December 5 from 10:00 to 12:00. The program for the children will start in January.

Cathy Schaeffer reminded us that the movie nights are planned for Dec. 3, 4-7 pm: The Boys of 1936, and Dec. 10, 4-7 pm: Mending the Line. 

Bosun Charley Drake reported that the trailer spare tire has been replaced for $55.- by Charley Drake. The new trailer for the Erica is now stored under the Preston. 

New Business:

Communications: Jack Darnton said that he would like to see pictures added to the roster. Jack will check into the details. Vicki O’Brien encouraged all to get to know Jack in the new Tholepin. Bill Testerman will work with Jack on introducing Jack’s Page on the website.

Finance: Bill Epler reported that he will change the accounting software from Quickbooks to Quicken. The cost of Quicken will be shared with the Senior College and amount to $45.-.

Maintenance: Charley Drake plans to wait for better weather and then work with the Tuesday and Thursday crews that row at 7, 8 and 9 to fit the Erica to the new trailer with the use of the hoist. Bill Epler and Torgy Torgersen are developing the measurements for the 2 new oars that Andy Stewart will make for the Erica.

Safety: Jim Laurel will remind the remaining 8 masters to take their test before the end of the year. Three new masters are just waiting for good enough weather to complete their practical tests.

Scheduling: Robin reported that racing plans will be made in January for the coming year.  
 
Port Dredging: Dan Worra reported that the dredging equipment has arrived and that work will start on Monday, December 5 at M Dock and then proceed to M, N, O and then P Dock. 

Archives: Robin showed two big binders of photos from the Archives. Robin will combine the photos in one album and encouraged anyone to then look through the book and identify as many people as possible by putting their names on ‘Post-It’ notes by the photos.

Robin announced that Jake Beattie, who spoke at our Annual Meeting, will speak about R2AK at the Anacortes Library on Saturday, Dec. 17 at 4 pm.

The meeting was adjourned at 0800.

Prepared by Simone Spiess, December 6, 2016.  

Post
comments:
(There are no comments yet.)
add a comment: